MILESTONES OF MIT
1949, July 18:
The MIT had its beginning with 4 departments, viz., Aeronautical Engineering , Automobile Engineering, Electronics Engg, and Instrument Technology with the pioneering efforts of Thiru. C.Rajam and his close associates, Sri M.K.Ranganathan, Rtd. Chief Engineer, who was the first Principal of MIT.
Rao Bahadhur M.K.Ranganathan took charge as the first director of MIT. Students of MIT started doing projects as a part of their curriculum.
1952 October 9:
The First Convocation of MIT was addressed by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru , The First Prime Minister of India.
A single seated primary glider aeroplane with no engine was designed and fabricated by the faculty of aeronautics MIT.
1955 September 21:
Sri Prakasha, the Governor of Tamil Nadu declared open the faculty of Science. Sri Rajendra Prasad , the first President unveiled the bust of the founder. Sri K.Kamaraj, the then Chief Minister, inaugurated the Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Laboratories.
Thiru V.K.Krishna Menon addressed the convocation.
An air plane (weight 1200 lbs, span :75 ft) was designed, fabricated, successfully launched and flown by the faculty of Aeronautics MIT.
A Modern Mathematics Study Group (MMSG) was started and Mathematics Talent Research Competitions of collegiate level were introduced in Madras by MMSG.
Facilities were made available in the faculty of science for research work. MIT Alumni Association was formed in October.
Hon’ble Mr.Moraji Desai, Deputy Prime Minister delivered the Convocation address.
Hon’ble V.R Nedhunchezhiyan declared open the Hanger II, renovated by MIT Engineers. A two year post graduate course in Applied Electronics was started.
A two year Post graduate course in Aircraft Structural Mechanics was started . The Faculty of Science was formed, bringing together the erstwhile separate departments of applied Mathematics, applied Physics and applied Chemistry.
A post Graduate course, M.Sc. in applied Mathematics was started. MIT acquired an additional land area of 22.7 acres as its annexe at RaniThottam.
Silver jubilee celebrations of MIT.
1975 Feb 22:
The week-long MIT Silver jubilee celebrations were inaugurated by Smt.Indira Gandhi, the Prime Minister of India. Hon’ble Thiru C.Subramaim, Union Finance Minister declared open the Alumni House established at a cost Rs.46,000. A pavilion was constructed in MIT Annexe and a Ladies' Hostel came into existence.
The Health Center was constructed and declared open.
A new Course in Production Technology was started. M.E courses in Automobile Engg and Instrument Technology were also started.
1978 September 4:
The central workshop building was extended to have Production Technology Faculty in its complex. MIT, with the other three sister colleges, merged together to form the Perarignar Anna University of Technology, with Thiru P.Sivalingam as its Vice-Chancellor. The erstwhile DMIT course was converted to B.Tech. course.
A new Building for the Administrative office and the Electronics Faculty came into existence .
First convocation of Anna University ( Only MIT graduates were available at this time) .
First honorary Doctorate Degree offered by Anna University to MIT Alumnus, President Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam.
Rajam Hall was inaugurated by Thiru M.Karunanidhi , the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
The first intake of Higher Sec. Students in MIT for Four year B.Tech courses. Formerly only graduates were admitted to a 3 year B.Tech. course in MIT.
Award of the Nation’s highest Civilian Honor ‘BHARAT RATNA’ to Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam. Inauguration of MIT Golden Jubilee Celebrations.
Inauguration of M.E programme in Mechatronics. Inauguration of K.B.Chandrasekhar AUKBC foundation. MIT wins the National Award from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan for an Engineering College having best over all performance.
Golden Jubilee Celebrations Commence.