In 1949,Shri.C.Rajam, gave the newly independent India-Madras Institute of Technology, so that MIT could establish the strong technical base it needed to take its place in the world. It was the rare genius and daring of its founder that made MIT offer courses like Aeronautical Engineering, Automobile Engineering, Electronics Engineering and Instrument Technology for the first time in our country. Now it also provides technical education in other engineering fields such as Rubber and Plastic Technology & Production Technology. It was merged with Anna University in the year 1978. Sixty years hence, while it continues to be a pioneer in courses that it gave birth to, it is already renowned for producing the crème de la crème of the scientific community in more nascent courses such as Computer Science and Information Technology MIT has produced great scientist like Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam, versatile genius like Sujatha and many more. The broad-based education, coupled with practice-oriented training in their speciality, has enabled the students of MIT to handle with skill and success a wide variety of technical problems. The Madras Institute of Technology has developed into an important centre of engineering education and earned an excellent reputation both in India and abroad.MIT had received many awards which includes an award for the Best Overall Performance, awarded by Indian Society of Technical Education (ISTE) during the year 1999.

 

         Shri Chinnaswami Rajam was described as a "pioneer in the Industrial Field" by the late Dr.C.P.Ramaswami Iyer. It is normally a fact that an enterprising person becomes an entrepreneur, leading himself to the path of being crowned as an Industrial Magnate. Until the first half of his life time Shri Rajam, even though youthful, dynamic, aspiring and hard-working, did not get his break.

         He was born on 28th Nov. 1882, in the village of Swamimalai, near Kumbakonam. He had his High School education at the Town High School, Kumbakonam. Till 1904, he was staying at Kumbakonam, searching for a job. In 1904, he joined the Salem Government Weaving School, and learnt the art of weaving. Then he started his own handloom factory at Salem with a capital of Rs.1,000/- and manufactured dhoties, towels, shirtings etc, with fly-shuttle looms. After that, Shri Rajam tried out his hand in many jobs like grocery shop, canvassed orders for a tannery firm, managed a leather goods show room etc.

         Then he started an Indian Company with a meager capital of Rs.1700/- which manufactured Coal Tar and was very successful. The India Company Ltd., Madras, took up the agency for Tata Steel in 1923, and for about ten years it was selling nearly 2,000 tons of steel per month on a small commission. This enhanced his reputation very much in Madras city, and he became one of the important business magnates.

         He started the Kumbakonam Electric Supply Corporation Ltd. in 1932, and the Negapatam Electric Supply Company Ltd. and Indian Steel Rolling Mills Ltd. in the year 1933, and these companies had flourished very well. The paid-up capital of these companies exceeded Rs.50 lakhs. He had been leading a princely life throughout. In 1944, when his wife died, he made up his mind to minimize his comforts and sold his two bungalows, and gave a donation of Rs.5 lakhs to start "THE MADRAS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY." For the Rolling Mills and Electric Supply Companies, he had to get foreigners even for erection work and therefore immediately made up his mind to produce practical Engineers and Scientists in India, for starting industrial concerns, or for taking up posts in the Defence departments and replace foreigners in due course. This has become a 'fait accompli' and the Institute has flourished very well during the past years. And many of the students have been absorbed in the Defence services, and in big industrial establishments.

Name                  :  Dr.A.Rajadurai

Designation         :  PROFESSOR & DEAN

Qualification        :  Ph.D.

Email ID              : 

Area of Interest    :  Finite Element Analysis and Composites

 

 

MILESTONES OF MIT

1949, July 18:
The MIT had its beginning with 4 departments, viz., Aeronautical Engineering , Automobile Engineering, Electronics Engg, and Instrument Technology with the pioneering efforts of Thiru. C.Rajam and his close associates, Sri M.K.Ranganathan, Rtd. Chief Engineer, who was the first Principal of MIT.

1951:
Rao Bahadhur M.K.Ranganathan took charge as the first director of MIT. Students of MIT started doing projects as a part of their curriculum.

1952 October 9:
The First Convocation of MIT was addressed by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru , The First Prime Minister of India.

1954:
A single seated primary glider aeroplane with no engine was designed and fabricated by the faculty of aeronautics MIT.

1955 September 21:
Sri Prakasha, the Governor of Tamil Nadu declared open the faculty of Science. Sri Rajendra Prasad , the first President unveiled the bust of the founder. Sri K.Kamaraj, the then Chief Minister, inaugurated the Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Laboratories.

1959:
Thiru V.K.Krishna Menon addressed the convocation.

1961:
An air plane (weight 1200 lbs, span :75 ft) was designed, fabricated, successfully launched and flown by the faculty of Aeronautics MIT.

1965:
A Modern Mathematics Study Group (MMSG) was started and Mathematics Talent Research Competitions of collegiate level were introduced in Madras by MMSG.

1966:
Facilities were made available in the faculty of science for research work. MIT Alumni Association was formed in October.

1969:
Hon’ble Mr.Moraji Desai, Deputy Prime Minister delivered the Convocation address.

1970 August:
Hon’ble V.R Nedhunchezhiyan declared open the Hanger II, renovated by MIT Engineers. A two year post graduate course in Applied Electronics was started.

1971 December:
A two year Post graduate course in Aircraft Structural Mechanics was started . The Faculty of Science was formed, bringing together the erstwhile separate departments of applied Mathematics, applied Physics and applied Chemistry.

1974:
A post Graduate course, M.Sc. in applied Mathematics was started. MIT acquired an additional land area of 22.7 acres as its annexe at RaniThottam.

1974-75:
Silver jubilee celebrations of MIT.

1975 Feb 22:
The week-long MIT Silver jubilee celebrations were inaugurated by Smt.Indira Gandhi, the Prime Minister of India. Hon’ble Thiru C.Subramaim, Union Finance Minister declared open the Alumni House established at a cost Rs.46,000. A pavilion was constructed in MIT Annexe and a Ladies' Hostel came into existence.

1976:
The Health Center was constructed and declared open.

1977:
A new Course in Production Technology was started. M.E courses in Automobile Engg and Instrument Technology were also started. 

1978 September 4:
The central workshop building was extended to have Production Technology Faculty in its complex. MIT, with the other three sister colleges, merged together to form the Perarignar Anna University of Technology, with Thiru P.Sivalingam as its Vice-Chancellor. The erstwhile DMIT course was converted to B.Tech. course.

March 9:
A new Building for the Administrative office and the Electronics Faculty came into existence .

1980:
First convocation of Anna University ( Only MIT graduates were available at this time) .

1982:
First honorary Doctorate Degree offered by Anna University to MIT Alumnus, President Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam.

1990:
Rajam Hall was inaugurated by Thiru M.Karunanidhi , the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.

1996:
The first intake of Higher Sec. Students in MIT for Four year B.Tech courses. Formerly only graduates were admitted to a 3 year B.Tech. course in MIT.

1998:
Award of the Nation’s highest Civilian Honor ‘BHARAT RATNA’ to Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam. Inauguration of MIT Golden Jubilee Celebrations.

1999:
Inauguration of M.E programme in Mechatronics. Inauguration of K.B.Chandrasekhar AUKBC foundation. MIT wins the National Award from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan for an Engineering College having best over all performance.

2000:
Golden Jubilee Celebrations Commence.

MISSION : 

  • Madras Institute of Technology shall contribute to the educational, economic and social development
  • By producing students who are intellectually and technically equipped with well defined knowledge, skills and ethics, who are creative thinkers, inspiring leaders and contributing citizens.
  • By introducing high quality academic and research programmes and providing extension services in cutting edge technologies.
  • By ensuring a supportive campus climate with dynamic leadership and development opportunities to meet the needs of students, faculty and staff.
  • By enhancing academic productivity through induction of quality faculty, accelerated graduation, credit banking, augmented continuing education opportunities and adoption of current technology.
  • By sharing the intellectual resources and the infrastructural facilities among the academia from other institutions and among the industrial society, funding agencies and government.
  • By enhancing the collaborative partnership between Industry and Institute for commercializing and transferring the latest technological know-how towards societal development.
  • By expanding global participation spread across continents with the aid of interactive satellite based education and the usage of digital library.
  • By ensuring efficient administrative co-ordination and effective decision making through necessary reforms and by strategically allocating resources.
  • By benchmarking against technologically sound global leaders with a view towards continuous improvement.

More Articles...

  1. History