Madras Institute of Technology (MIT) has a huge and spectacular sports facility covering an area of 28 acres of land at the MIT Main Campus and at Annexure (Rani Thottam) - one km away from the Main Campus.
1. Sports Facility at the MIT Main Campus:
Facility to play Volley Ball, Ball Badminton, Kabaddi, Kho-Kho has been provided to students and staff at MIT.
2. Indoor Sports Facility at the MIT Main Campus:
A Spectacular Indoor Gymnasium has been bestowed with the following:
1. Basket Ball Court, Tennis Court, Volley Ball Court, Five Badminton Courts, Weight Lifting Training equipment, a mini platform to perform fitness exercises and tables to play Table-Tennis.
2. In Hostel, separate facilities to play indoor games such as Chess, Carrom, Fitness Equipment, Tennikoit and Throw Ball are provided.
3. Multi-Gym Facility at MIT Main Campus:
A newly erected 12 stations Multi-Gym Facility has been kept open for Students (Men & Women) and Staff with separate timings to practice.
4. Sports Facility at MIT Annexe (Rani Thottam):
It is situated a kilometer away from the Main Campus. It has 400 Mts Track & Field facility, Foot Ball Field, Hockey Field, Two Ball Badminton Courts, Volley Ball Court, Kabaddi Court, Kho – Kho Court, Cricket Oval, Tennis Court, a Mini stadium to perform fitness exercises and a separate 6 feet path way for walking around the sports facility without any disturbance.
5. National Sports Organisation (NSO) Activities:
The NSO activity at MIT is a unique and regular feature for the enrolled students from the very first year onwards. It comprises
(i) comprehensive sports programmes for the whole year and
(ii) a ten- day Compulsory Residential Summer Coaching Programme at the end of the second semester.
6. MIT Students Sports Achievements in brief:
B.Prasanth, II ECE represented All India Inter University Swimming Championship held at Kerala University, January 12 -22, 2006.
Mr.R.Prithivi Raj Thondaiman, III, CSE participated in All India Masters Shooting Competition held at Hyderabad from the 5th to 12th of January 2005.
MIT Hockey (M), Ball Badminton (W), Volley Ball (W), Basket Ball (W) Teams won the Gold Medal in the Anna University Zone - IV Tournaments 2005 - 06.
7. Physical Education Personnel:
Dr.S.Sundararajan, Deputy Director of Physical Education, a well qualified and experienced person, is looking after the sports activities at MIT Campus along with other supporting staff in the Department of Physical Education.