ABOUT ANNA UNIVERSITY – SIEMENS CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE
The Hon’ble Chief Minister Late Dr. J. Jayalalithaa had made the announcement on 20.09.2016 to establish a Centre of Excellence and 5 linked Technical Skill Development Institutes (t-SDIs) in Tamilnadu through Public Private Partnership (PPP) in collaboration with Siemens and Designtech Limited at an estimated cost of Rs.546.84 crores with state contribution of Rs 54.68 Crores from Tamilnadu Skill Development Corporation Limited.
The Centre of Excellence (CoE) is established at MIT Campus of Anna University and the Technical Skill development Institutes(t-SDIs) at University College Of Engineering-Kancheepuram, University College Of Engineering-Villupuram, ThanthaiPeriyar Government Institute of Technology-Vellore, Central Polytechnic College-Taramani and Murugappa Polytechnic College-Avadi.
The main scope of the CoE and t-SDI’s will include
• Improvements in college labs infrastructure by adopting latest open technologies in engineering design, manufacturing, planning, analysis and management to serve the needs of all industrial units irrespective of use of the machinery and technologies.
• Skill up gradation of faculty by training
• Update course curriculum to modern industrial practices.
• Promote research & Development and innovation for existing industries.
• Training of students to improve employability.
• Enhance the technical education institutions as modern and equipped with state of art technologies.
• Availability of trained workforce to attract industries to set up units in the state.
In Centre of Excellence (CoE), the following 14 laboratories are established.
1. Product Design and Validation Laboratory
2. Advanced Manufacturing Laboratory
3. Test and Optimisation Laboratory
4. Rapid Prototype Laboratory
5. NC Programming Laboratory
6. CNC Machine Laboratory
7. Lift Installation and Maintenance Laboratory
8. Electrical Laboratory
9. Process Instrumentation Laboratory
10. Automation Laboratory
11. Mechatronics Laboratory
12. Automotive Body Repair Laboratory
13. Automotive Paint Shop Laboratory
14. Robotics Laboratory
The laboratories are inaugurated on 10th October 2018 by our Honorable Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami